Friday, October 16, 2009

A glimpse of life as a single parent


Every October inventory is done for Wes's buisness. The first weekend it's held at the Springfield Mo branch, the 2nd week is here in Kansas City, and the 3rd is in Omaha NE. For this, I hate October! Wes works long late hours and everyone involved are always in foul moods. We are currently on week 3 and Wes left for Omaha early this morning. Even though he is gone during weekdays at work , for some reason when he is out of town, it just feels different. I don't have any family(my side) that lives here and I am always scared of something going wrong while he is away.

The day started off like a normal Friday. Breakfast which consisted of oatmeal for the girls, and cinnamon toast crunch for me(figure that one out)! We had made plans earlier in the week to have some friends over for pizza night ,so that was our running force throughout the day! The girls played for a while while I did some routine chores. We all had an hour of quiet time and at around 3pm we threw on our coats and headed to the grocery store for some pizza toppings and other essential items we needed.

This is the beginning of the downhill slope...

We got to the store and of course the girls were upset that their beloved "race car" shopping cart was already in use. So I grabbed a regular one and told them to get in! They threw such a fit I could have sworn the entire store was staring at me! So there we are in the canned good isle, me pushing an empty cart while the girls run up and down the isle. Other shoppers are glaring at me like I'm "that mom"! Yup, that was me! Ava decided to clear the whole bottom shelf of canned tomatoes and baked beans, while El was kicking them down the isle! I grabbed them, threw them in the cart, threatened them and began rearranging the cans!

We finally made it out of there after 40 minutes and denying them candy, balloons, and a 70 lb pumpkin! We made it home and I let the dogs out back, the girls pleaded with me to play outside! I finally gave in thinking it would wear them out and give me a chance to put away the groceries! I bundled them up and sent them out the back door. About 7 minutes later I see Elise soaking wet( waist down) standing on the back deck, did I mention shoe less?!? I quickly open the door let her in and go to get Ava! I walk down the deck stairs and see her standing(shoeless) in their sandbox, which is more like a wet sand waterhole now. I grab her all their shoes and run back inside! Give them a hot bath due to the purple appearance of they're toes. I bundle them up and sit down to gather myself! Huff, I'm stressed!

Our friends were due to arrive around 5:30 so I prepped all the toppings and got everything else ready to go for pizza night! Ava in the meantime has been whining and crying due to exhaustion. I sit down cover her with her blankie and rock her into a light doze. Elise was quietly playing around the house. I noticed that she was covering up our dog Gracie with her blanket and poking and prodding her face! I told her not to do that because Gracie would snip at her! Not even 3 minutes later I see El push Gracie to her limit. Gracie lunged and snipped Elise in the face! I didn't think much of it at first since it's happened before. I sat and waited for the cry! When the normal cry was replaced by a shrill scream of panic I flew out of my chair (Ava still in tow) and ran over to her! One glance at her made my stomah drop! There on that porceline angel face was a stream of blood running out of her nose and mouth! I threw ava on the couch, grabbed El and ran to the kitchen! I tried to remain calm and took a deep breathe and looked her over. The blood was running pretty heavy so I grabbed a towel and held it firmly on her nose. There was thankfully no bite marks so I assume what happened is Gracie hit her head into Els nose! It bled pretty heavy for about 4 minutes all the while I was trying to call Wes! As soon as I reached him the bleeding had subsided! Of course my first sentence to Wes was" Gracie bit Elise in the face and she is gushing blood"! Poor Wes! I'm considered by him an "over exagerator)It was in the heat of the moment I was scared! We concluded it was just a bloody nose and gave her some tissues to keep on thier just in case! At this point our friends arrived to see blood all over the kitchen and bloody towels on the table! Yummo! Who wants pizza ??? Luckily Eileen is a nurse and checked El over and gave her a clean bill of health!

The rest of out night went according to plan, I'm just anticipating what events are in store for us tomorrow!!! Thankfully Wes will be home by late afternoon! I do have a new found respect for the single parent! It's hard enough with two parents there!! To all you single parents out there, you are my idols!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment